Skip navigation.

1 2 1

IRAN: Reza/Payam

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Exam is finished!

Hello,

Well, I had my exam yesterday. It was only an hour and a quarter long, but it was really hard. At least it is out of the way now and I have a weekend off! (Hopefully I will make good use of it).

After the exam I went for a long walk from Tower Hill station (east London) to Victoria Station (in central London). It took me two hours, but it was really refreshing and was mostly along the River Thames. Exactly what I needed! My feet hurt, but it was worth it - the last week was really busy.

For the next two weeks I am doing a Selected Study Module - where the University gives us some choice over what we do. For me, this means two weeks of dissection - hopefully I will learn lots of Anatomy by doing this!

------------------------------------------

Of course, Monday was Norouz. I had a great time - norouz has always been a great time of the year for me. It really does mark the beginning of a change in the weather for the better! Our haft-sin (see below) is quite nice this year (perhaps I will put up a picture of it).

------------------------------------------

The haft-seen is a table with seven things beginnning with the persian letter 'seen' or S. It also has other things representing spring such as egg and goldfish as well as some watercress. Another important feature is a hyacinth (the fragrance has always been representative of the persian new year for me).

Persian new year is celebrated at the exact time of the Vernal Equinox (this year at 6.26pm GMT on Monday evening). This is the moment spring begins, and it marks the beginning of 13 days of celebration which end in seezdeh-bedar - which is when people go out to the countryside or a park for a picnic and drop the fully grown watercress into a river (representing a desire to make the entire world green). I am sure Reza will be able to say much more about this.

I hope you are well, Reza and look forward to hearing from you again. I am sure you have lots to say about norouz.

Best wishes, Bye and Khodahafez,

Payam

posted by Payam @ 2:13 pm   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

I Power Blogger